Whelen So. Mod Tour Stat Advance: SNMP
Analyzing The Southern National 150
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour will continue its 10th season of competition with the Southern National 150 on Saturday, March 15 at Southern National Motorsports Park in Lucama, N.C. Below is a statistical look at the performance of selected drivers at the track:
Southern National Race Setup:
• Andy Seuss has won four of the last five NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour races dating back to the end of the 2013 season, including the fall race at Southern National Motorsports Park.
• Burt Myers is the defending winner of the Southern National 150 and the only driver with multiple wins there.
• Southern National is the only track on the 2014 schedule that four-time NWSMT champion George Brunnhoelzl III has never led a lap at, and one of only two where he has yet to reach Victory Lane.
• Either Seuss, Myers or Brunnhoelzl have won 23 of the last NWSMT 31 races, including 10 of the last 12.
AT SOUTHERN NATIONAL:
• The first NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour race at Southern National Motorsports was held on Oct. 21, 2006 and was won by Junior Miller.
• There have been four different winners across the five previous NWSMT events at Southern National. Burt Myers is the only two-time victor
• Four different drivers have earned Coors Light Pole Awards at Southern National since the inaugural event in 2006. L.W. Miller is the only driver with two, and he also holds the NWSMT track qualifying record.
• George Brunnhoelzl III, Burt Myers and Jason Myers are the only drivers that have competed in all five previous Southern National events.
• There has been one previous wire-to-wire winner at Southern National: Andy Seuss on Oct. 5, 2013.
• Seuss is the youngest Southern National race winner at 26 years, 6 months, 20 days.
• Junior Miller is the oldest Southern National victor at 55 years, 5 months, 25 days.
Southern National Motorsports Park Data
Season Race #: 2 of 15 overall, 1 of 2 at SNMP
Track Layout: .4-mile asphalt oval
Banking/Turns: 17 degrees
Banking/Straights: 7 degrees
Race Length: 150 laps / 60 miles
2013 Pole Winner: Ryan Preece
2013 Race Winner: Burt Myers
Track Qualifying Record: L.W. Miller, Pontiac, 14.251 seconds, 101.046 mph, Sept. 13, 2008
ACTIVE CATEGORY LEADERS AT SNMP:
1. Burt Myers … 2
2. Andy Seuss … 1
1. Burt Myers … 1
1. Burt Myers … 5
2. George Brunnhoelzl III … 3
Andy Seuss … 3
1. Burt Myers … 5
2. George Brunnhoelzl III … 4
Jason Myers … 3
Andy Seuss … 3
Thomas Stinson … 3
1. Andy Seuss … 150
2. Burt Myers … 122
1. Burt Myers … 700
2. George Brunnhoelzl III … 697
3. Jason Myers … 603
1. George Brunnhoelzl III … 5
Burt Myers … 5
Jason Myers … 5
SELECTED DRIVER HIGHLIGHTS:
Danny Bohn (No. 65 Rustoleum/Cedar Peaks Chevrolet)
• The 2012 Sunoco Rookie of the Year has a win, a pole, 10 top fives and 18 top 10s in 23 career NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour starts.
• Posted finishes of eighth and ninth last year in his only two previous races at Southern National Motorsports Park.
• Finished sixth in the 2014 season opener at Caraway Speedway.
George Brunnhoelzl III (No. 28 Composite Technologies Chevrolet)
• Has a record four NWSMT championships (2009, `11, `12, `13).
• Has 20 wins, 21 poles, 42 podiums, 51 top fives, 65 top 10s and 2,548 laps led in 80 career starts.
• Holds NWSMT all-time records for wins and laps led. Ranks second in poles, third in top fives and fourth in top 10s.
• Has three top fives, an average finish of sixth and a best result of second in five previous Southern National starts.
• Southern National is one of two tracks on the 2014 schedule that he does not have a career win at, and the only one where he has yet to lead laps. The other track where he has yet to win is Langley Speedway.
• Was runner-up in the 2014 opener at Caraway.
Kyle Ebersole (No. 5 Ebersole Excavating Ford)
• Has a win, 11 top fives and 17 top 10s in 24 career starts. The victory was earned at Langley in 2013.
• Finished seventh and fourth last year in his only two previous Southern National races.
• Ended up 14th in the opener at Caraway after a spin early in the race.
Luke Fleming (No. 40 AutosByNelson.com/Koma Unwind Ford)
• The 2013 NWSMT Sunoco Rookie of the Year has a win and seven top 10s in 15 career starts. The win came at Bowman Gray Stadium in his 2009 tour debut.
• Has two previous starts at Southern National, both in 2014, when he finished 13th and fifth.
• Posted an eighth place finish in the Caraway season opener.
Brian Loftin (No. 23 L&R Transmissions Chevrolet)
• The 2008 NWSMT champion has 12 wins, 12 poles, 40 top fives and 51 top 10s in 80 career starts.
• Has finishes of 15th and 23rd in two previous Southern National starts.
• Finished seventh in last week’s opener at Caraway.
Burt Myers (No. 1 Citrusafe/Speedway Auto Auction/Adam’s Towing Ford)
• The 2010 NWSMT champion has 11 wins, a tour record 26 poles and 87 top 10s in 105 career starts.
• Has two wins, a pole, four top fives and an average finish of third in five career Southern National races.
• Finished fourth in the Caraway opener after he started an uncharacteristically low 16th.
Jason Myers (No. 4 Adam’s Towing/Corks Caps & Taps Ford)
• Owner of three wins and 81 top 10s in a NWSMT-record 109 career starts. Has competed in all but one race in the tour’s now 10-year history.
• Was the highest-finishing NWSMT driver in the UNOH Battle At The Beach when he crossed the line second on the short track at Daytona International Speedway in February.
• Has three top 10s, an average finish of 10th and a best result of sixth (twice) in five previous Southern National races.
• Finished fifth in last week’s Caraway opener.
Andy Seuss (No. 11 Ideal Finance/Phoenix Motors Chevrolet)
• Has 16 wins, 10 poles, 46 top fives and 61 top 10s in 81 career NWSMT starts. His 16 wins rank second all-time.
• Has finishes of fourth, fifth and first in three previous Southern National starts. Led start-to-finish there last fall.
• Started the 2014 points season last week at Caraway with his fourth career wire-to-wire win.
Thomas Stinson (No. 7 Dennis’ Towing & Recovery Chevrolet)
• Has 25 top 10s in 47 career starts with a best finish of second at Caraway in 2011.
• Recorded top-10 finishes in each of his three previous Southern National starts and his average finish of eighth there ranks fifth among active drivers.
• Finished ninth in the Caraway opener.
UP TO SPEED:
• The 2014 NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour schedule consists of 15 events at seven different tracks across three states.
• The competition season opened with the non-points UNOH Battle At The Beach on the short track at Daytona International Speedway on Feb. 18. Ryan Preece was the polesitter and Doug Coby took the checkered flag.
• Andy Seuss won from the pole in the points season opener on March 9 at Caraway Speedway.
• Following the Southern National 150, the NWSMT will return to action on March 29 at Caraway.