Articles

Alonso: I will race next season

Fernando Alonso has dismissed suggestions he could take a sabbatical from Formula 1, insisting he will be on the grid for the first race of the 2016 season in Melbourne.

The two-time Formula 1 Champion has two years to run on his contract with McLaren but the team chairman Ron Dennis recently claimed Alonso could take the next year off from the sport.

However, Alonso, who was speaking at Johnnie Walker’s Join The Pact festival at Wembley, was adamant that he will compete in the new Formula 1 season.

When asked whether he would be taking part in the 2016 curtain raiser in Australia, Alonso replied: “Yes.

“I talked to Ron on Friday, I told him what had been published. He said I didn’t mean that and tomorrow I will clarify it. On Saturday he clarified but no one copied that.

“I said the opposite on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and I’m sure in January and February I will keep answering the same questions about my future.”

The Spaniard moved to McLaren for the 2015 season after four years with Ferrari and experienced the worst season his career.

Alonso finished the season on a poor 11 points and retired from eight races, while McLaren came second bottom of the constructors standings with 27 points.

The Oviedo-born driver, who won back-to-back championships with Renault, says motivation will play a key part in how long he will continue to race for.

“We have to be open to any possibility,” added the 34-year-old.

“Right now, it is too long ahead to think.

“Let’s see what happens in one and a half years, what the situation is, what targets we have met and what the motivations are to keep going on in Formula One.”

Unfiltered commentary, news articles, video and insights about virtually all aspects motorsports. Latest F1, NASCAR, Indycar, NHRA, MotoGP, and SportsCars news.